What would Thanksgiving be without mashed potatoes and gravy? Well, it would be a paleo Thanksgiving! Although there are now some people in the paleo community that say white potatoes are fine to eat, they still pack a lot of carbs into that skin. Carbs that could be better spent elsewhere, like dessert!!
2 heads cauliflower
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 tsps. sea salt
1 quart organic chicken stock
2 medium onions
2 garlic cloves
1 Tbs. thyme, chopped
Pan drippings (from a roasted turkey or chicken)
Directions for Mock Mashed Potatoes:
• Wash cauliflower, cut into large pieces, and steam until tender.
• Puree in a blender or food processor; add in olive oil and salt.
• Reheat in a casserole dish in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 min.
Directions for Paleo Gravy:
1. In a medium saucepan, heat chicken stock, coarsely chopped onions, and garlic to a boil.
2. Reduce heat; simmer until onions and garlic are soft (30 min).
3. Pour pan drippings into saucepan.
4. Blend stock-onion-drippings mixture in a blender until smooth.
5. Place mixture back in saucepan and reheat, then season with sea salt and thyme.
6. Serve over mock mashed potatoes and enjoy!