What would Thanksgiving be without mashed potatoes and gravy? Well, it would be a paleo Thanksgiving! Although there are now some people in the paleo community that say white potatoes are fine to eat, they still pack a lot of carbs into that skin. Carbs that could be better spent elsewhere, like dessert!!
This recipe is so good you will never miss those spuds. Plus, think about all the nutrients you get from cauliflower. For each 100 grams of cauliflower vs. potato you will save 52 calories and 12 grams of carbs. Cauliflower also packs more vitamin C and calcium.
Top your mashed cauliflower with real, organic butter (or ghee if you are sensitive to dairy) or try the paleo gravy recipe. Either way, it's yummy and nutritious!
2 heads cauliflower
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 tsps. sea salt
1 quart organic chicken stock
2 medium onions
2 garlic cloves
1 Tbs. thyme, chopped
Pan drippings (from a roasted turkey or chicken)
Directions for Mock Mashed Potatoes:
• Wash cauliflower, cut into large pieces, and steam until tender.
• Puree in a blender or food processor; add in olive oil and salt.
• Reheat in a casserole dish in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 min.
Directions for Paleo Gravy:
1. In a medium saucepan, heat chicken stock, coarsely chopped onions, and garlic to a boil.
2. Reduce heat; simmer until onions and garlic are soft (30 min).
3. Pour pan drippings into saucepan.
4. Blend stock-onion-drippings mixture in a blender until smooth.
5. Place mixture back in saucepan and reheat, then season with sea salt and thyme.
6. Serve over mock mashed potatoes and enjoy!