Live and learn! I know better now and I'm sure to add healthy fats to every meal. Now I'm full after my meals and have no need to snack. Go figure! I had no idea how much flavor and texture I was missing in my food when I went for those nasty fat free foods. I even noticed that my skin is softer and my hair is shinier. What girl doesn't need more of that?!
The problem with a food like mayo is the ingredients. Most are made with canola oil which is and unhealthy fat. They also have preservatives such as Calcium disodium EDTA which the FDA wants to study further to see if it is associated with birth defects, cancer or reproductive problems. Yeah, that's enough to keep me away from it.
I know it's convenient to grab a jar of mayo from the supermarket but try this recipe once and you'll see that it's really no big deal.
I teach my clients all the time that a healthy lifestyle requires some preparation and work but the rewards are worth it!
Here is a recipe from Theclothesmakesthegirl.com. Don’t try to rush this and cut corners. You must give yourself the time to let the ingredients come to room temperature or it will completely fail! There have been times where my kitchen is hot and it comes out a little runny. I just put it in the fridge for a few hours and it firms up.
Olive Oil Mayo
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 cup light-tasting olive oil (Not extra virgin. Try Filippo Berio or Bertoli.)
1. Place the egg and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Let them come to room temperature together, about 30-60 minutes.
2. Add the dry mustard, salt, and 1/4 cup of the oil. Whirl until well mixed – about 20 to 30 seconds.
3. The only remaining job is to incorporate the remaining 1 cup oil into the mixture. To do this, you must pour very slowly… the skinniest drizzle you can manage and still have movement in the oil. This takes about three minutes or so.
If you’re using a blender, you’ll hear the pitch change as the liquid starts to form the emulsion. Eventually, the substance inside the blender will start to look like regular mayonnaise, only far more beautiful. Do not lose your nerve and consider dumping! Continue to drizzle.
If your ingredients were all at room temperature and you were patient, you will be rewarded!
This is not just for tuna and egg salad. It’s perfect dolloped over meat or top your favorite fish with it and bake! You can also make ranch dressing with it. Enjoy!